Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Breakfast for Dinner

It's not unusual for us to have breakfast for dinner. I'm not one to eat when I first wake up. In fact, I have a hard time eating a big breakfast in the morning. But, I do like having breakfast in the evening. Here's a good recipe for Buttermilk Syrup. Now, you may have to get past the name. When I tell people about buttermilk syrup, they nearly always turn up their nose. Here's all you'll need:



In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda.


Bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes. Now, hopefully, you started out in a good size saucepan. See how it expands???? That's because of the baking soda. It will turn from this white foam :

to a pretty golden amber like this:


Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.



I like to serve this over french toast, waffles, or even homemade fluffy biscuits. It's a good, but very rich tasting syrup. Hope you enjoy it




Buttermilk Syrup

1 1/2 cups withe sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda. Bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this...I love reading blogs! I learn something new every day!

I also love breakfast for supper especially in winter. You my friend are the second one today that has mentione French Toast to me...I do believe I feel a craving coming on...
*big smile*

bj said...

Hi....I think this is my first time to your great blog and I am going to read it all.
The syrup sounds absolutely delicious....can't wait to try it.
Could you please tell me how to smudge out my address in that pic. I posted? I am so ignorant about comuters, I can barely turn one on. In fact, I am having trouble this morning with posting.I upload a picture, then when it loads, I click on DONE; my picture turns into a lot of writing that I don't understand...no picture showing. However, when I click on PREVIEW, there's the dang picture. Could u tell me what is happening? I've not had this problem before....
Many thanks...
oh, and I adore breakfast foods for supper.....
hugs, bj