Monday, February 25, 2008

Cooking with Pressure

Growing up, my mother always cooked with a pressure cooker. I realize everyone thinks their mother is the best cook, but my mother really is the best! My family loves her carrots (and they really don't even like carrots!). I think it must be because she cooked them in a pressure cooker. Everything just tastes better. I bought an electric pressure cooker this year and it is my favorite cooking utensil! Everything I have made in it comes out tender and tasty. Here's what it looks like:



Tonight I fixed pork chops and in 20 minutes, we had delicious, fall off the bone, pork chops. I changed one of our favorite recipes for the cooker. Here's the original:

Glazed Pork Chops

2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together and spread on pork chops. Bake uncovered at 250 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn chops over, spoon dripping over. Cook for 15 minutes. Increase oven to 350 degrees and cook 15 more minutes.

For the Pressure cooker, I just placed the pork chops in it, sprinkled the mixture over it, added 6 ounces of pineapple juice and cooked on high for 20 minutes. Very good. In fact, once again, I failed to take pictures, we were too busy eating!
Super easy!





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember growing up in the '60's, my grandmother had a pressure cooker that she used regularly with a little jig at the top...she always warned us that it could blow up though so I always gave pressure cooking a wide berth...LOL.

Your pork chops sound delish!

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

cindy said...

I have my mother's old (stove-top method) pressure cooker and have used it a few times when I needed something done quickly. But like Tammy said, it makes me a little nervous! So I may have to check out the new electric model.

I'm enjoying your blog!

bj said...

My mother always used a pressure cooker, too, and she made the best red beans in the whole wide world! I never learned to cook with one as I was so afraid of it exploding. I didn't even realize they have ELECTRIC pressure cookers. I am amazed! I can't wait to read up on them. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us!
If you will stop by on your way home from work, I will serve you a HUGH slice of cake with extra strawberries!! :)
hugs, bj