Wednesday, April 9, 2008

True Friendship

Today I received another notice of a donation being made to the Comanche Public Library in memory of my mother. This time a letter was enclosed with the note. Margaret, the librarian had received it with the donation and thought we would enjoy reading it. I did! The donation was from my dearest, life-long, friend, the other Cindy. We were known as the two Cindy's, and as Cindy said, "what a pair we were"! Oh, did we ever have fun back then. We knew every little secret about each other. And talk!!!!! Her father could never understand how come we had soooo much to say to each other on the phone after we had been together all day. Before we left for our separate colleges, yes, the two inseparable Cindy's had chosen different colleges! Anyway, before we left, we made a mexican dinner for our parents. We worked all day on that meal. Made with our very own hands! Looking back, we didn't have a whole lot of cooking experience, so I'm not sure how edible it was. But, our parents thought it was fantastic because, after all, that's what parents say! We even made homemade pralines. Here's a picture taken after the meal. That's my mother on the far left, Cindy, Cindy's mom, Betty and her dad, Jim. Remember, this was the early 70's, so the photo quality isn't the best.



Here's Cindy with her mother. I've got a picture like this of me and my mother, but couldn't find it. Betty was like a second mom to me. Cindy and I were either at her house or at mine, very seldom were we apart. She lived so far out in the country that when we were in school with all our activities, it was often easier for her to stay with me.



This picture was taken in front of Cindy's house. Notice the wide open space!!! Not a house for miles.




Now, you want to hear something funny??? Cindy, who was raised in the country with all the fresh air and space, now lives in Houston! Oh, she might tell you that she lives in a small little town just outside of Houston, but that would be close to a lie. She lives in the hustle and bustle of a big town with all the traffic and road construction of a constantly growing city. And me, well, I've finally moved to the country. And on top of that, we just bought 100 acres farther away from town. Maybe someday I'll finally have that nice little farm I've always wanted.

3 comments:

Jeri said...

Aren't memories wonderful!! Glad you got your blog going again, I have missed it.
Hugs,
Jeri

Jacey said...

Cyndi,

I'm so sorry about your mom. I can't imagine losing your mother, but I'm glad my mother and you have stayed friends through all these years, and that it brings you some comfort in this sad time. I've always been amazed at the friendship you share. :)

-Jacey

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndy! I live in the same small town with the other Cindy!(It truly is far from the crowded Houston, but in order to work and play, we must hit the freeway chaos!)You and I would be instant friends because we both love Cindy dearly. I hope you don't mind that she shared your blogspot with me. I so enjoy reading it! You inspire me to be a blogger. My best to you and please keep posting!