Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How Much Things Have Changed!

Okay, I'm really about to show my age here. Back in 1984 we got our first car phone! Only back then they were called mobile phones. I was trying to find a picture of one to show you, but this is about the closest one I found.





Ours was black and we paid $2500.00 for it. The brain or transformer had to be mounted in the back of the car and it had thick cables that ran to the phone that was bolted to the floorboard in the front of the car. We had a Dodge Ramcharger and had to have the phone professionally installed.




We had a book that came with it, and when we traveled, we had to switch frequencies to find the closest towers. You had to have the book with you to look up the different locations of the towers. It had all these extra buttons that you had to push to change the frequencies. It was soooo cool! Mike had to do a lot of traveling, so he got new cars or trucks every two years and of course, we always had to have the phone installed again.




I was so glad when they finally came out with the "bag phones"! What an improvement!!!! Oh, they were so much more convenient then the old mobile phone!!! How could they ever improve on those???? Well, they did. It seems with each passing year they got better. And now with each new month, there's always a better cell phone coming out.







This is my phone now, and I'm loving it! Oh the things I can do with this!!!!






Learn a foreign language. I've always wanted to speak french!





And the games I can play!!!! Sudoku!!! Pac Man!






And with all the traveling I'm going to be doing, I have to know what the weather's going to be like so I'll know what to pack.





With my New Year's resolution to lose weight and exercise, what better way to keep track of everything????



Oh! I'm loving my phone!!!!


Now if only I could figure out how to call my friends with it and tell them they really need to get one of these!!!!


5 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL I see those fancy gadgets and just know I'd never be able to use half of what it can do. I still have to have my daughter program new numbers into my simple cell phone!!!

Jeri said...

I got my first cell phone in 1988. It was in a huge heavy case cause it was so called portable. The battery was most of it. When you left your home area, it would cost a fortune in roaming charges and you had to have the code of the new tower. Otis had radios and mobile phones too in all his work trucks back then. In the 70's and early 80's he had 7 trucks! And that mobile and radio saved us a fortune in gasoline. Cause before the radios and mobiles, the service guys would have to come back to the shop after a call then go right back out to same area again. Gosh, you made me remember the good ole days.....hahaha

Thanks for the memories,
Jeri

Stacey said...

i had never seen the first phones! i wish i still had my bag phone to show off!

and i heard a rumor you keep calling your daughter for help with your phone! hee hee!

imjacobsmom said...

That's what teenagers are for....my son sets my phone up for me. I lived about an hour away from my Mom, so needless to say my phone bill used to be astronomical! I was thrilled when we got a cell phone and she was in our calling area! But oh did we burn through those minutes! Thank goodness for unlimited minutes! Our first cell phone was quite large - we used to call it "the shoe phone". ~ Robyn

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.