Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Through the Eyes of a Child

Guess who's getting a make-over????? Last week Mike and I took Friday off and went to see Jennifer and Nate. We had promised to take Kaylee to the American Girl Store, so earlier in the week we made reservations for lunch and also made a hair appointment for her doll, Nikki.

Nikki was really needing a make-over!!!!! Her hair was a mess and I wasn't even sure if they would be able to do anything with it. Just take a look at it:




What an exciting day this was going to be! They put Nikki in her only little beauty shop chair and draped a cape around her. Kaylee got to pick out the hairstyle she wanted and the color of her hair ribbons.




She was so excited watching the procedure. Mike had found a couch to sit down and wait. Every so often, Kaylee would turn around and exclaim, "Grandpa is missing it!". Then, she would run and get him (or drag him) over to ooh and ahh over what the lady was doing to Nikki.





Then Mike would go sit down for a little while and Kaylee would just stand there and watch her doll and all the others getting their hair fixed. She was taking in everything!!!!







Didn't it turn out pretty????

Now, off to lunch at the bistro upstairs.





They had the cutest little chairs for the dolls and they even had their own little menus. (Grandpa was a little worried that we were going to have to buy lunch for the doll, too.)



Now we got to go shopping for a new outfit for Nikki. There was so much to choose from.





Kaylee ended up picking an outfit from Julie's collection. Julie is the American Girl Doll from the 70's, and I could really relate to her! Many of her outfits looked like they could have come from my high school or college closet. Even though it was very cold, Kaylee chose the cutest little bathing suit. They called it a swim suit, but I think it was a little sundress with matching panties. You see, in the 70's, we wore really short dresses. In fact, they were so short, that often times we had matching panties (or sis pants) that we wore over our regular panties. Anyway, here's the doll with her hair all fixed in her new outfit.




The absolute best part of the whole day was getting to see and experience all of the excitement and wonderment through the eyes of a child! Kaylee seemed to really have enjoyed the day.



3 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

What a cool thing. I don't have any little girls in my family at the moment...so I was only a little bit familiar with those dolls. I had no idea the salon and cafe even existed. What a great adventure for a little girl! I wish they had stuff like that when I was young. And I think "NIKKI" is such a great name for a beautiful doll lol

StitchinByTheLake said...

How fun was that! Don't you know she will remember that forever? blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

I want to go to a place like that for me! I remember that doll from Christmas she looks great. What a job to have, working around dolls.
I have always had a passion for dolls. Thanks for sharing.

Catherine