Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper

My favorite drink is Dr Pepper. And when it's cold outside, it's great warmed up and served with a slice of lemon. Ummm, Ummm good! And there's nothing better than good ole Dublin Dr Pepper because it is still made the old fashioned way with Imperial Pure Cane Sugar. Dublin Texas became the site of the world's oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant in 1891, just six years after the drink was invented in nearby Waco, Texas. It wasn't until 1904 that Dr Pepper gained national exposure when it was introduced to the rest of the U.S. and the world at the 1904 World Fair in St. Louis. I'm lucky enough to live close enough to Dublin, that many of the grocery stores will stock Dublin Dr Pepper along with ones bottles in other places. But, Dublin Dr Pepper is absolutely the best!!!!

Take a look at this 1934 ad, Makes a Guy Snappy, Happy and Keen!




In 1936 it tells us how it aids with digestion and combats acidity.





Doesn't little Miss Judy Mae look sweet? This was in 1939.





Here's one from 1943.





And of course Dr Pepper reminded everyone to help America remain free in 1944.





In 1947 we were reminded of the sweet life.




The 50's and the good life!




In 1962 you've got it served cold.




And in 1965 served my favorite way, hot.




And in 1969, supporting Miss Teen America.




And in the 70's, they told the story.



Ahhh, all this talk of Dr Pepper is making me thirsty.



and hungry. I think I'll fix a Dr Pepper cake



made with




Dublin Dr Pepper!






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! How did the cake taste? I haven't had hot Dr. Pepper with lemon in a very long time!

cindy with an i

Stacey said...

i do enjoy dp, but it was interesting that during and since my first pregnancy i actually enjoy a coke more. dp became too sweet. but i still like it now and then.

cindy said...

Being from the north, I had never heard of Dr. Pepper. I came to Texas one summer to visit my sister and was helping with VBS at her church. At snack time they served cookies and cups of what I thought was coke or pepsi. I took a drink and thought, "what is this awful stuff!?" It tasted like carbonated prune juice!! That was my introduction to DP and to this day I cannot drink one! Another Cindy with an i

Jennifer H. said...

I love this post! I also made the Dr. Pepper cake with the mix you gave me for Christmas yesterday. It was amazing. The frosting is my favorite part!! I could eat a whole bowl of it! I am seriously craving some Dublin DP now!

Jeri said...

I had my first DP in Breckenridge. I was about 5 or 6. Dixie and Valeta sent Pete, Bill and I down the hill to a little store to get a six pack. It tasted so good...and I thought you were supposed to drink one at 10, 2 and 4. Thanks for the memories Cyndy!
Hugs,
Jeri

imjacobsmom said...

I'm a Yankee, so Dr. Pepper wasn't that popular around here. But I sure remember that real cute commercial - I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, Wouldn't you want to be a Pepper, too? ~ Robyn