Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Secrets Found

We've all known them. Some of us have even had the privilege to work beside them. Who am I talking about? You know ....... the Great Ones!



The really good cooks!



The ones that when you're at a potluck supper, their food is always the first to disappear. Or the ladies at church socials that everyone keeps asking, "What did you bring?" "Which one is yours?" Although, you rarely have to ask, because like I said, they're food is always taken first.



The ones that you worry if you're too close to the end of the line, there won't be any of their dish left. My mother was one of "them". Her cooking was out of this world! In fact, to this day, I'm pretty sure that is why Mike married me. I think he thought that I might cook like her. Wrong! But guess what? Just look what I found:






I'm still going through boxes of photos and all kinds of interesting family stuff. And I found these. Here, take a closer look:





These are some of her cookbooks. And guess what??? They're marked!

I love the way she marked her recipes.

With paper clips and little scraps of note papers.





But here's the best part:






Her own little editing of all those marked recipes.






The little tweaking and adjusting of recipes, some ever so slightly, but still they're her adjustments. Maybe this is what made her food just a little better than all others!


I can hardly wait to try some of these. Maybe, just maybe, they'll taste at least half as good as hers!




7 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

Great post! when I got some of my grandmothers old recipe books after she passed...I could tell which ones she liked the most by the amount of food splishes and splashes on the pages...those were the ones I tried first! Have a great night!

Jennifer H. said...

Okay, Mom. Thanks for making me cry!

I am so glad you found these. And, I am so glad Nana added her little touches. Seeing her handwriting really got to me.

Love you.
Jenn

cindy said...

What a great find! I think you definitely inherited your mothers cooking ability and I'm sure Mike has not been disappointed! I have a couple of recipes in my mother's handwriting and that is special. I hope my daughters will feel the same way about my cookbooks/recipes someday. Please share some of your favorites with us.

Cathy said...

Oh...I just love those things found....what a great treasure!
Cathy

Rue said...

Hi Cyndy :)

Thank you for putting your name in for the giveaway.

I did a post about my mom and her recipes a while back. She likes to tweak them and not tell anyone. She admitted this to me about a year ago and I finally knew why mine never tasted as good LOL

rue :)

Jeri said...

Oh, Cyndy, I have Mom's cookbooks too. And she did the same thing!
I love looking at each and everyone of those recipes and remembering how good they were. I know how Jenn feels, I cried when I saw your Mom's too....memories of my Mom.

Love, Jeri

Stacey said...

tagged you today and tomorrow! hint: clean your sink tonight!